At this point you may or may not know that I am gluten free, as is my youngest daughter, Ella. Seeing as I have a horrible allergy to wheat, my whole family has had to go gluten free. I am constantly looking for recipes that are work with my allergy and have been coming up with new recipes and converting old recipes to make them gluten free. This pasta dish with sweet italian sausage is one of those…I love pasta and will not give it up. I just need to make sure that I am using gluten free pasta, which I don’t find to be that bad, especially when you have a delicious sauce to go with it. Throw some sausage on it and now you’re talking! Those of you who want regular pasta, go ahead and use it. If you’re looking for a simple and easy meal that just tastes great, serve make this recipe with a side salad and a glass of red wine and you have a meal that you will be happy eating.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 sweet gluten free sweet Italian turkey sausages (you can use chicken or pork as well
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 pound gluten free spaghetti
- Grated parmesan cheese to taste
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat, add olive oil and heat for a few minutes. Add Italian sausages to the skillet and brown on all sides. Once the sausages have browned, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. After you have cooked the onions for 5 minutes, add the crushed tomatoes to the skillet, along with the minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every once in a while.
- Once the sausages have cooked for 30 minutes, take them out of the pan and slice in to 1/2-1 inch pieces (I like to slice mine a little on the diagonal, it looks nicer). Add the sliced sausages back to the sauce and continue to simmer while you cook the pasta.
- Cook the gluten free spaghetti according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain the pasta and add to the sausage and sauce, tossing to fully coat the pasta.
- Pour the pasta with the sausage and sauce in to a large serving bowl or platter. Serve hot and topped with grated parmesan cheese and the chopped fresh basil.
Make sure you subscribe to my blog to get all of the latest recipes and posts! It’s easy: simply fill out your name and email and you are done!