My family is big on “traditions” and we have many, but this may be one of our favorites, to have this coffe cake on Christmas morning. I must admit, every time my girls asked me “mom, how will we have Nana’s coffe cake, we cannot have eggs”? I would cringe, not exactly sure how I was going to recreat this recipe. But, I DID! Egg free, gluten free, and dairy free but all the same delicious flavors I remembered growing up and eating this.
- 1 cup granulated sugar (yes, I know, this is a lot, but this is a treat)
- 1/4 cup dairy free margarine
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 1/4 cups cassava flour (for recipe purposes, do not substitute this, I had to tweak this recipe to get the liquid to flour ratio correct, trust me, this is so worth it, I recommend Otto’s Cassava Flour)
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add in the almond milk, flour, applesauce, baking powder, and salt. Stir.
- Pour in to a greased 8×8 baking pan (I like to double the recipe and make in a 9×13 so we have leftovers).
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
There you have it, my Nana’s amazing coffee cake. This is so buttery and delicious.