We love cornbread in our house! I knew that I needed to creat a super moist cornbread, especially seeing as this needed to be egg free. This is super easy to make, I always have these ingredients on hand and is perfect to have with that bbq pork or rib dinner and is so tasty when used to make sausage and cornbread stuffing-YUM! Sorry for the quick photo, I took this right before I shoveled this down, I had so many requests to get this recipe posted before Thanksgiving.
- 6 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 1/2 cups cassava flour (you can use another gluten free flour if you choose but cassava flour is my favorite)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free cornmeal
- 3 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (for greasing your cast iron skillet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt Ghee. Add to a large bowl the melted ghee and the remaining ingredients except the 1 tablespoon of ghee (that is to grease cast iron). Mix all of the cornmeal ingredients really well to incorporate it all.
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium high (you can use an 8×8 baking dish if you dont have but I stringy suggest you get one, it make this BETTER). Once the cast iron is hot, add the 1 tablespoon of ghee and let it melt.
- Pour the cornmeal batter in to the cast iron, spreading around evenly. Turn off the heat. Place the skillet in the oven and cook 20-30 minutes until knife comes out clean.
I cannot wait for you to try this. It is moist and has so much flavor, you will never know this is gluten free, dairy free, and egg free. ENJOY!