Ok, so first off, I LOVE Mexican food! LOVE IT! I also love fast meals and my slow cooker. Add the three of these things together and you have one happy girl right here. This taco meat is so yummy– it also happens to be one of my most requested things to make when we are having people over. Score! Grab some tortillas, plenty of taco fixings, and you have an easy meal.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced (with a little extra sauce to add in)
- 2 pounds ground turkey (or ground beef, use whichever you have on hand or prefer)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 lime
- Place the chopped onion in the slow cooker. Add in the taco seasoning, cumin, oregano, minced garlic, and the chipotle chilies in adobo (add a little extra sauce if you like it with a little kick).
- Next add in the ground turkey or the ground beef. Stir all together.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Once meat is cooked and your time is up, remove lid and stir the meat around. Add in the minced cilantro and squeeze in the lime.
Serve with tortillas (corn for me) and load up the toppings–chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and sliced avocado. This meat is so good that I like to double the recipe and freeze some for another meal or make a taco salad or taco bowls for later in the week.
Serves 6 or more people. Hope you enjoy!